Construction of Urangan pier at Hervey Bay, Queensland began in 1913, it was a deep water facility to handle sugar, timber and coal exports. It was originally 1107 metres long and was serviced by a railway line along its length.
The pier was closed in 1985 and demolition commenced, however due to public outcry, this ceased and the pier was handed over to the Hervey Bay Council who restored 868 metres, removing the railway, in 1999. It now serves as a walking and fishing pier for the public.
Click the image for a larger view